OK…if you’ve been around these parts for awhile you know I show you the good and bad and the ugly around here.
Not every project turns out as I had hoped, and some turn out…but I just can’t quite decide if I love them or not. This is one of those. I’ve planned to do this project forever and was excited to finally get it done – it was a simple little trash can redo for my office:
I’ve had this wood one for YEARS. After all this time the structure has held up great, but the outside was a little nicked up. So I figured it would be the perfect project to experiment on.
I started by sanding it down super fast in my “workshop.” After I wiped it down I gave it a coat of primer and then a couple coats of a satin white paint in my other workshop. Or on an old sheet in the front yard:
Next was the FUN part.
I let the paint dry for a few hours inside so it would hold up to some painter’s tape. This wasn’t just any painter’s tape – it was chevron tape!
I work with the lovely folks at FrogTape® so I have had this stuff for awhile – I’ve just been waiting for FrogTape® Shape Tape™ to come out in stores so I could show you!
I sat and watched TV while I taped off the trash can:
So I’ve mentioned a few times that I’m usually eons behind the latest decorating trend. Either that or I’m so far ahead of the trend it’s not even cool yet. (I was putting chalkboards everywhere before they were the thing.) When I got this tape a while back I knew it would be fun to use it somewhere small to see if I liked it. Just a little spot, a smidge. A skosh of chevron if you will.
When I redid my office years ago I added in a few touches of pink in the space just to break up all the blue and beige in there. I picked up a pink paint sample months ago to use on another spot in the room and figured it would be a cute accent on the trash can.
I didn’t worry about great coverage on this – I didn’t want the color to be super saturated, so I just did one quick coat of the pink. I was kind of excited as I peeled off the chevron tape:
It was looking super cute! But by the time I was done taking it all off…I didn’t like it. At all. It was too much.
I was doing this at night so I tried to get a shot of it in the bathroom:
It’s hard to get a good idea of how it looked – it was just too bright and SO girly. I decided to try using the sander again to knock it down as much as I could. I used a 220 grit sandpaper and then a 120 to knock it down even more.
And whew…I liked it SO much more.
It gave it a washed, old look that I liked so much more!
Disclaimer: As a member of the FrogTape® Blog Squad, I want to thank FrogTape® for sponsoring this post. All opinions, projects and ideas expressed herein are my own.